The Swiss financial services corporation Credit Suisse is one of the largest banking institutions in the world, with 250 offices in Switzerland and operations in 50 countries. Credit Suisse began in 1856 when it was founded by Alfred Escher as Schweizerische Kreditanstalt.
Throughout the 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s, Credit Suisse emerged as a major player on the global market with branches in New York City – acquiring The First Boston Corporation in 1988 and Schweizerische Volksbank in 1993, among others. This culminated in the acquisition of Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette in 2000, one of the most successful investment banks in the world at the time. As a result of its consistent growth, Credit Suisse was named “Bank of the Year” in 2009 by the International Financing Review.
Currently, Credit Suisse has 3 divisions, consisting of- Investment Banking, Private Banking and Asset Management, which have contributed to its $31.39 billion in revenues and $1.032 trillion in assets.
Credit Suisse was praised for its accurate and diligent risk management and investment allocation practices during the financial crises. As a result, it became one of the few multinational financial banking institutions to not require direct government aid.
In July 2011, Credit Suisse laid off over 2,000 jobs as a fall-out from the 2008 financial crisis. As it had anticipated stronger global market recovery, its workforce dropped to just fewer than 50,000 with the reduction due to cost efficiencies.
- Brady W. Dougan: Chief Executive Officer
- Walter Berchtold: Chairman Private Banking
- Romeo Cerutti: General Counsel
- Osama S. Abbasi: Chief Executive Officer, Credit Suisse Asia Pacific
- Hans-Ulrich Meister: Chief Executive Officer, Private Banking
- Tobias Guldimann: Chief Risk Officer
- Fawzi Kyriakos-Saad: Chief Executive Officer, Credit Suisse EMEA
- Robert Shafir: Chief Executive Officer, Asset Management
- Karl Landert: Chief Information Officer
- Hans-Ulrich Meister: Chief Executive Officer, Credit Suisse Switzerland
- Eric Varvel: Chief Executive Officer, Investment Bank
- David Mathers: Chief Financial Officer
- Antonio Quintella: Chief Executive Officer, Credit Suisse Americas
- Pamela Thomas-Graham: Chief Talent, Branding and Communications Officer